About these ads
Home > JMX > Enable JMX Remote port in WebSphere

Enable JMX Remote port in WebSphere

By default JMX remote port is not enabled in WebSphere, We have to manually enable the JMX remote port. Here I am giving some steps to enable the JMX remote port in Websphere.

This has been done with Websphere 7.0.
After installation of web sphere application server 7.0, fallow the fallowing steps to configure Remote JMX port.

STEP 1:
Login to Admin console of the web sphere any profile(server), short cut will be available in start menu programs.
deploy the PerfServletApp.ear application if not deployed already.
GO TO Applications IN LEFT PANE CLICK WebSphere Enterpise Applications TO CHECK PerfServletApp.ear IS DEPLOYED OR NOT.
IF NOT THEN CLICK New Application UNDER Applications. BROWSE FROM WebSphere directory -> AppServer -> InstallableApps.
STEP 2:
Enable the PMI Data and set all the statistics enabled.
GO TO Monitoring and Tuning IN LEFT PANE CLICK ON Performance Monitoring Infrastructure(PMI) IN CONIFGURATION TAB ENABLE THE PMI AND
SET THE ALL STATISTICS. ALSO SET THE ALL STATISTICS IN Runtime Tab. SAVE THE CHANGES.

STEP 3:

Set the generic jvm argument = -Djavax.management.builder.initial= -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote

in Severs -> Server Types -> WebSphere Application Servers
shows the servers list. click on the server you want.
In the right pane -> Server Infrastructure -> Java and Process Management  click on Process definition, again in Additional Properties of Configuration tab
click on Java Virtual Machine. put the -Djavax.management.builder.initial= -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote in Generic Jvm Argument field.
and save changes.

STEP 4:

To enable the JMX remote port open the below properties file and add the code below.

FILE : WebSphere directory \AppServer\java\jre\lib\management\management.properties

CODE :
com.sun.management.jmxremote.port=9001
com.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false
com.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false

STEP 5:

SAVE THE MASTER DATA AND STOP THE SERVER AND START THE SERVER TO LOAD THE CHANGES………

About these ads
  1. October 5, 2012 at 11:47 am

I Love you man, u safe my file :) Greatest Post

2. October 5, 2012 at 11:48 am

Life*

3. SK
    March 16, 2014 at 6:27 am

Hi,
    When I restart the server and try to connect using jconsole to localhost:9001 I get a connection refused error in jconsole. I disabled my firewall while trying this out – that didnt help either.
    Any thoughts on why this might be? The output from netstat -anp|grep 9001 didnt give anything – meaning my websphere was not listening on the port. Would appreciate any pointers on why that might be.

• March 16, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Can u elobarate how did u enabled the remote port to connect from jconsole?.. By default it is not enabled.

• SK
        March 19, 2014 at 12:12 am

Mallik,

I realized later on I was missed setting up the management.properties file in the jre directory. I had specified those settings in a custom location and for reason that was breaking my entire WAS install.

Your solution does work as is, thanks for checking back.

• March 21, 2014 at 11:15 pm

Thanks for your comments mate… keep visiting this site…

4. Jey
    July 7, 2014 at 6:32 am

Hi , thanks i have followed your steps to enable the JMX connection , But i am using the tool called zabbix (monitoring) to monitor the websphere JVM, by following the above steps i can now see the JMX port is listening locally , but zabbix tool is not getting any data from JVM to monitor . So now i am in situation that to find its a zabbix issue or WAS not forwarding any jvm data … any idea…?

• July 9, 2014 at 7:29 pm

I am sorry Jey, I have never used Zabbix. Let me try my end and get back to you if I find any solutions.

5. Carlos
    November 28, 2014 at 4:11 pm

Hi, I have a question, How to do for enable jconsole in websphere but in ISeries AS400?

1. July 22, 2013 at 1:46 pm